Friday 7 December 2012

Welcome!

It's still me.  This blog will be more of the same.  Sometimes familiarity is good?  I hope you'll bookmark my new blog or add it to your reader.  Thanks so much for sticking with me. 

Here's what I've been up to this past month.

Beige cotton-linen blend short sleeved blouse

Some running stitches detail and love those flower buttons

Satin bias binding hem

Running stitches along the sleeve hem
 Very happy with how the collar turned out.  The hand stitching just makes the garment special.  And of course my favourite hem treatment.  I used French seams.

Pleated A-Line skirt
Invisible zipper, my favourite


In-seam pockets
Jump pleats lining
 Self-drafted A-Line skirt incorporating pleats and in-seam pockets.  I thought I'd try lining the skirt using a jump pleat at the hem.

 
White cotton long sleeve shirt
Flat felling arm hole seam





















































This shirt was an interesting experience with flat felling.  But I used this method only for the arm holes and hem.  I freaked out for the side seams.  The results were not good, I had to unpick it. 

Short sleeved men's shirt
Only the pocket cut on the bias interested me in this shirt.  It was fraught with mistakes :(  Well at least it will be a wearable muslin!

On the quilting front, I pieced 6 Jacob Ladder blocks.  This will be a very slow project.


With the 2 sides not added yet

Belgian Waffles by Moda Bake Shop
With Christmas so near I really wanted to do some Christmas quilting.  I got it all pieced in record time and I'm currently machine quilting this 47" square quilt top.  But the stitches are not regular.  I think I may have to tweak with the tension dial.  I'm using a Crazy Eight turnover with Kona Natural.  The inner red border is Kona Rich Red.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garment sewing looks great, Barbara! I love the quilt blocks, too. Your blog header picture makes me swoon. I let myself down so badly with my plans for Christmas stitching and quilting but hope to do better next year. (I say that every year at about this time. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a 2nd Blog, love your sewing, the clothes look so professional and such neat stitching. I love the in-seam pockets! Needless to say, your quilt is tops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear from you!! The clothing is so beautiful and professional!!
    Love your newest quilt creations:) Happy December!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi BJ,
    Curious to know how you old blog became full. Is it something about not able to post pictures anymore because the Picasa album is full? A few of my blogger friends had this problem with Picasa. What they did was to go to picasa web album and downsize the pictures (sign-in with you google account). It is suggested that any photos uploaded to blogs should be in the range of 500-600 pixels size.

    p.s. not necessary to post this comment. Wasn't sure if you are still using the same e-mail addr as before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have maintained your sewing schedule Barbara, and I just love your new garments, especially the white shirt, my favourite garment to sew, love all the details, cuffs, collars, pockets, pleats etc. Your quilting projects too, all look wonderful, good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new header, colourful and festive. A beautiful collection.
    You have made such wonderful progress with your garment making. Good to see you haven't forsaken your quilt making.

    ReplyDelete