Saturday 20 July 2013

Some crocheting

What?  You ask.  Well I'm smitten ... what more can I say.  It was love at 3rd sight.  Out of the blue I thought I'd give crochet one last swing.  I've tried it before and the results were quite dismal :(  More because I did not have the correct yarn.  Yeah blame it on the tools.  Really ... I absolutely loathe those acrylic yarn that are easily available in every haberdashery shop from here to Timbuktu!  I am not a yarn snob but at least I know good yarn from bad.  And with the amount of work one puts into crocheting it better be worth it.

  
 These are cotton yarn that I bought from Maycraft.  I've not seen many shops in KL selling cotton yarn.  Since I was just testing the waters again I got only 2 skeins ... for now.  The hooks are those regular Tulip brand hooks. 

 Some of my trial granny squares.  The left square is from a tutorial by crochet supremo Lucy.  And the right is a traditional square by my favourite YouTube instructor Beth.  Gosh the colours red and white together is sooo damn classy!

And ... the basic beanie was the next project I wanted to tinkle with.  It was really really easy.  My sis wants a slouch beanie!  When I proposed some roses on the beanie ... she said please don't ... gosh no way that she will be able to look as cool as David Beckham with roses on a slouch beanie!  So watch this space for more yarn, more granny squares, more beanies and better quality crochet hooks!

Another local INS I came across recently is Popular Fabric. Lucy the owner is a most wonderful lady.  It also helps when she's passionate about sewing.  Going all out of her way to test a particular sewing foot for me when I requested for more info.  She even made good a short order with an additional pack on the house.  Now that's what I call SERVICE!!

Some button covers and 45mm pack of rotary blade

With Lucy's challenge via her Facebook page it pushed me to make the zipper pouch sooner than I anticipated.  It's from a free tutorial on Craftsy.

 
 I used a 12" zip rather than the called for 9" because then you can place the zipper pull out of the way of the zipper foot.

 Love that fabric combo.  So British for sure, thoughtful gifts from Margaret W. I have enough to make another two but with a different fabric for lining.

And a Union Jack thimble (again gift from Margaret W) to complete the picture.  This will be for my cousin's daughter Chloe who just finished a year of study in UK.

4 comments:

  1. love the way that you have the fabric positioned with the black car riding just on top of the zipper. so cute~!

    i haven't crocheted in ages but every time i see an interesting yarn i think about working something up in it . . . someday.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you persisted with your crochet!!! I learned when I was around 8yrs old at school, and have always enjoyed it!!! Anything from wool blankets to fine lace around linen hankies!!! Love your beanie, you have done very well Barbara, I'm proud of you!!!!! If you are wanting access to good quality cotton (& wool) yarn, may I suggest you try Bendigo Woolen Mills,
    www.bendigowoollenmills.com.au
    I have been buying wool and cotton yarns from them for nearly 25 years. You will also get a swatch card with all the different colours etc. They also have a website.
    Reasonable prices as well, and they post all over the world.
    If you need any decent crochet hooks, let me know, I will try and get some locally for you, tell what sizes you need.
    Love your little zipped purse, you did a beautiful job setting in that zip and fussy cutting your fabric just so!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crochet has definitely increased in popularity and glad you are enjoying it. There are so many beautiful yarns around these days in contemporary colours. And you have chosen the classic combination, that's for sure.
    Love your new zipper purse in those fun fabrics. So attractive and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can finally access your blog, some seriously good stuff going on. You ARE a yarn snob, but that's good!
    JessW.

    ReplyDelete